Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Morning Bell

Ding. Ding. Ding. I woke up to the chimes of one of those little bells Buddhists ring to call the ancient spirits. Ding. Ding.

I had forgotten where I was until I heard the gutteral chanting coming from the other room. I'm sleeping at a Buddhist temple, and our host is at work. Ding. Ding. Chant.

My mom got up to go investigate. I wanted to sleep in.

But then I thought how majestic Mt. Fuji must look at sunrise - if she's even showing at all.

Ding. Ding. Ding. More chanting.

My curiosity was piqued. I couldn't sleep in with all this going on in the background. I got dressed, grabbed my camera, and found my mom in the main temple area. Ken was chanting, ringing the bell, and seemed to be in a trance.

Ding. Ding. Ding. (Incomprehensible chanting.)

He then got up and continued the morning ritual by banging on a small taiko drum.

Then he went back to his prayer, which following yesterday's conversation, probably had one purpose...



And here I thought our view of Fuji couldn't get any better. Wow. Just wow.

Anyway, I gotta run. Ken's mother is calling us to breakfast. She's like 900 years old and cute as a button, and bows repeatedly like one of those little spring-loaded bird toys. It's a sight to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment