Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Not Your Typical Airport Town

So it's just past midday on the Tuesday on which I leave. After three weeks of eating, riding trains, eating, soaking up culture, and a little more eating, I can say I'm fuller, fatter, and rich with experience.

But no, my friends, the eating tour - which I've proclaimed as being over several times - is not quite over yet. I've dumped my stuff off at the airport and taken a 10 minute train ride into town for one more taste (literally) of Japanese culture.

Narita, the little town that plays home to Tokyo's international transport hub, is famous for one other thing: Unagi. That's freshwater eel, for those of you who've studied the little tabletop placard at sushi joints the world over.



And like in much of Japan, they don't waste any part of the slimy little creature here. So I did what every good traveler does and tried every part of this freshly fileted squirmer. Bones, guts, and all... Each in a separate course.

Unfortunately, I can't find the full video to upload it, but you're probably sick of me eating weird things anyway.

Keep an eye out for a video compilation of my greatest (grossest) hits from Japan. In the meantime, I'm going to drink a latte (yes, they're widely available here), get back to the airport, and partake of some duty-free shopping before taking the long, sad trip home. See you on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! I wish I had though to write this earlier but the best souvenir from Japan is to bring back is chopsticks.

    You can cover 20 people with a ziploc baggie, no extra luggage needed.

    I had a similar experience in Harajuku. I asked the goth girls if I could take pictures of them and they said no. It was kind of weird, I mean that is what they do. They dress weird to get photographed. I shrugged and just walked to Shinjuku.

    --Joey

    ReplyDelete